SocialEngine is designed to be installed on a web server with the following basic requirements:
Basic Requirements (SocialEngine Core)
- PHP 5.6.31 or newer
- PHP extensions: gd2, curl, iconv
- MySQLi extension
- Safe mode must be OFF
- Register Globals must be OFF
- Magic Quotes must be OFF
- Memory limit: 32M+
- OpenSSL enabled
- PHP settings for upload_max_filesize at 15 and post_max_size at 15
- PHP 7.1 or newer
- PHP extensions: dom
- APCu (speed boost)
- bcmath (speed boost)
- json (speed boost)
- mbstring (required for non-English support)
- MySQL 4.1.3 or newer
- 1 available database
- InnoDB table support
- Apache-based shared web hosting
- Apache-based VPS or dedicated web server
- mod_rewrite (removes index.php, for SEO-friendlier URLs)
- memcached (speed boost)
- mod_security/mod_security2 disabled
- PHP 7
- Imagick (required for gif image support and mobile device image rotation)
- Nginx is not supported.
- FastCGI is not supported.
Some SocialEngine plugins have optional requirements:
VPS or dedicated server - budget/shared servers may not handle a high volume of users chatting at the same time.
- FFmpeg (for encoding video; click here to read more on how to set it up correctly) - without ffmpeg, users can still post YouTube and Vimeo videos.
- allow_url_fopen enabled for video sharing from sites such as YouTube, Vimeo, etc. Note that shared hosting may not allow this and you would want to seek other hosting options.
Need help with this stuff?
Contact us with any questions you have about these requirements, we'll be happy to help! Most modern hosting providers are compatible with SocialEngine but if in doubt you can contact them directly and refer them to this page.
Need a web hosting provider too?
Picking the right host is important, especially if you have plans for your network to grow large! We've had great experiences working with BryZar (and so have our clients) and recommend checking them out for SocialEngine-powered hosting.